Monday 22 October 2012

Making a Final Character Design

After coming up with a few ideas, I had to make a decision on what kind of final character I'd want to produce. I decided that I wanted to create a slightly mystical character who appears sinister and has an unhinged sense of humour. I want him to be fairly wild-like and not be too influenced by human civilisation, so i'm basing my character in a woodland environment. He will have tree like qualities to him so he will appear skinny like a tree branch and have the skin tone textured like tree bark.





The design of this character was initially very influenced from Tim Burton's style of stick thin characters. I feel this last drawing I've done comes across Manga orientated, which I don't want to have that feel in the final modeled look. I may need to test whether this would lose that style habbit in a non cel-shaded render. I also wanted to give my design long hair, so at times you won't be able to see his face which will add to his ominous appearance.  I would target this character towards young people in their teenage years and older.

'Vincent' by Tim Burton

I plan to think up some ideas of what kind of scenario I want my character to be animated around in, once i'm entirely happy with my characters design as this can potentially affect the animation piece itself.

Thinking about the practicality of building this character in Maya, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to model. My main concern currently is how I would create the hair. I will need to do some research on methods of adding hair to models effectively before going ahead with this as my final design.

No comments:

Post a Comment